To establish a product offer that meets our target customer expectations and is in line with our agreed brand direction – delivering the business needs in terms of sale, service, margin and returns.
To develop a remarkable range of Homewares to include (but not limited to) Bedding, Throws, Rugs, Cushions, Lighting, Tableware, Candles etc
- To ensure our knowledge of competitors and market trends is used to define ranges and identify new opportunities for sales growth including with wholesale customers
- Work with design to develop quality ranges
- Arrange and manage supplier meetings to develop / source products and negotiate prices to achieve overall GM% targets.
- Prepare range finalisation in line with range control plans
- Ensure of all style details are loaded onto the system with 100% accuracy.
- Negotiate all initial orders in line with forecasts and agreed minimum quantities ensuring delivery dates prelaunch will be achieved.
- Provide information to creative for photography and catalogue production
- Check catalogue layouts/ pages ensuring complete accuracy.
- Complete analysis of market and competitor trends and present findings giving proposals for future range development.
- Brief new product developments to relevant suppliers.
- Conduct supplier meetings / communication- negotiating prices, minimum quantities, lead times ensuring an up to date log is kept of all agreements.
- Conduct the range finalisation meetings – with samples and pricing available on all products
- Suggest and agree all product and colour names.
- Agree all selling prices to meet overall margin targets
- Request all photographic samples ensuring complete by due dates
- Ensure all product set up is complete and 100% accurate.
- Negotiate initial orders in line with forecasts and agreed percentages, ensuring suppliers are fully aware of all conditions.
- Be aware of all stock availability issues in season (current and future) and chase suppliers on any major issues to maximise stock availability at all times. Including chasing when we are having difficulties placing repeat buys (due to unacceptable quantities or lead times.)
- Provide detailed brief to creative for all mailings covering all required product and layout details
- Check all layouts/ artwork for complete accuracy.
- Proactively manage the inclusion of styles / sku’s in mailings / emails etc to maximise sales and stock availability and minimise surplus stocks.
- Develop second / alternative sources as required
- ALL above activities to be completed in line with critical path deadlines
- All major issues to be advised to Buying/ Merchandise Director in a timely manner
- All to contribute to weekly departmental meetings in a proactive and informative manner
- You are an ambassador for the business and as such you must act in a professional manner in all dealings with suppliers and or customers
Technical knowledge required
- Minimum 5+yrs experience as a Buyer, preferably in Homewares.
- Solid numeracy and organisational skills, with strong attention to detail and proven track record of meeting deadlines
- Creative thinker, with a commercial awareness
- Brand and customer focused, with some experience of bespoke product
- Excellent communicator with strong negotiating skills
- Hands-on Buyer who has solid experience working within a buying team ordering lines in volume
- Competent in Critical Path management and meeting deadlines.
- Must be able to range plan & deliver to time and spec and have the added experience in sourcing and product development.